Welcome to Coffee Break: Breaking the Cycle of Bullying in Healthcare – One Cup at a Time!
In this inaugural episode, host Renee Thompson, CEO & Founder of the Healthy Workforce Institute, shares her journey and passion for tackling the long-standing problem of bullying and incivility in healthcare. With 31 years of nursing experience, she emphasizes cultivating a professional and respectful work culture for healthcare professionals. Renee reveals her past struggles as a frontline nurse manager, lacking the necessary tools to address employee behaviors effectively, and highlights the importance of equipping leaders with evidence-based strategies to set behavioral expectations and hold employees accountable. With this podcast, she aims to provide practical solutions for addressing workplace bullying and incivility, inviting guests who have successfully dealt with these issues in their departments.
Tune in and learn how to create healthier work environments by emphasizing the significance of how healthcare professionals treat one another!
About Renee Thompson:
Dr. Renee Thompson is a sought-after speaker, author, consultant, and leading authority on creating healthy workforces by eliminating bullying and incivility. With more than 31 years as a clinical nurse, nurse educator, quality manager, and nurse executive, Dr. Thompson is a leading authority on workplace bullying and incivility and spends the majority of her time working with healthcare leaders who want to cultivate a healthy workforce.
Renee is the CEO and Founder of the Healthy Workforce Institute and has been repeatedly published, interviewed, and awarded for her work to eradicate disruptive behaviors in healthcare. In 2020, Renee was invited by the Joint Commission to become a member of their Workplace Violence Technical Advisory Panel, has been published in numerous nursing journals, and is a frequently invited guest on radio, podcasts, webinars, and online social media platforms.
In 2016, Renee received the Nursing Excellence Award as a nurse entrepreneur to honor her work to eliminate workplace bullying. She received the first Outstanding Nursing Alumni for Excellence in Leadership Award and Distinguished Alumni recognition from her alma mater and was a finalist in the Healthcare Heroes Awards as a Healthcare Provider. Her blog has won numerous awards as a Top Nursing Blog “must-read” by the online nursing community, and her anti-bullying videos are viewed by healthcare organizations around the world. Renee is one of only 30 nurses in the world who have achieved the prestigious certified speaking professional designation.
In 2018 she was recognized as one of LinkedIn’s Top Ten Voices in Healthcare for her contribution to their global online healthcare community, and in 2022 was identified as one of the top 5 Nurse Influencers on LinkedIn. Also, in 2022, Renee was inducted as a Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing for her work to eradicate disruptive behaviors in healthcare.
Renee has a Master’s degree in Nursing Education and a Doctorate of Nursing Practice from the University of Pittsburgh.
About the Healthy Workforce Institute:
The Healthy Workforce Institute is the global leader in addressing disruptive behavior in healthcare. Through our cadre of services, we provide the strategies, skills, and solutions to address any incidences of disruptive behaviors that show up in healthcare.
Things You’ll Learn:
- Addressing bullying and incivility is crucial in healthcare settings to create a peaceful and respectful work environment that positively impacts patient care.
- Bullying and incivility affect nurses and the entire healthcare team, including therapists, support staff, physicians, and administrators.
- Equipping leaders with the necessary skills is essential for fostering a positive work culture and effectively addressing and preventing bullying behaviors.
- The podcast will provide evidence-based and practical strategies for dealing with workplace bullying and incivility, empowering listeners to take actionable steps.
- Including successful leaders as guests on future episodes will offer valuable insights into how different organizations have effectively tackled bullying and incivility.
- The podcast will underscore the need for cultural change in healthcare organizations, prioritizing kindness, respect, and effective communication among team members to create a compassionate and supportive work environment.