Are disruptive behaviors and a toxic work culture taking a toll on your organization?
In this episode, host Renee Thompson, CEO and founder of the Healthy Workforce Institute, outlines strategies for improving organizational culture and reducing disruptive behavior during National Bully Prevention Month. Her “trifecta approach” to culture in organizations includes nine strategies for three key components: strengthening the organization, equipping leaders, and empowering employees. These strategies encompass clear policies and processes, skill development, and a consistent focus on “Healthy Workforce.” She believes that by engaging in training, supporting leaders, raising awareness of disruptive behaviors, and involving employees as partners, organizations can work toward a healthier, more respectful, and professional workplace culture.
Tune in and learn from Renee about the critical role of organizational culture and its impact on issues like burnout, turnover, and bad behavior!
About Renee Thompson:
Dr. Renee Thompson is a sought-after speaker, author, consultant, and leading authority on creating healthy workforces by eliminating bullying and incivility. With more than 31 years as a clinical nurse, nurse educator, quality manager, and nurse executive, Dr. Thompson is a leading authority on workplace bullying and incivility and spends the majority of her time working with healthcare leaders who want to cultivate a healthy workforce.
Renee is the CEO and Founder of the Healthy Workforce Institute and has been repeatedly published, interviewed, and awarded for her work to eradicate disruptive behaviors in healthcare. In 2020, Renee was invited by the Joint Commission to become a member of their Workplace Violence Technical Advisory Panel, has been published in numerous nursing journals, and is a frequently invited guest on radio, podcasts, webinars, and online social media platforms.
In 2016, Renee received the Nursing Excellence Award as a nurse entrepreneur to honor her work to eliminate workplace bullying. She received the first Outstanding Nursing Alumni for Excellence in Leadership Award and Distinguished Alumni recognition from her alma mater and was a finalist in the Healthcare Heroes Awards as a Healthcare Provider. Her blog has won numerous awards as a Top Nursing Blog “must-read” by the online nursing community, and her anti-bullying videos are viewed by healthcare organizations around the world. Renee is one of only 30 nurses in the world who have achieved the prestigious certified speaking professional designation.
In 2018 she was recognized as one of LinkedIn’s Top Ten Voices in Healthcare for her contribution to their global online healthcare community, and in 2022 was identified as one of the top 5 Nurse Influencers on LinkedIn. Also, in 2022, Renee was inducted as a Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing for her work to eradicate disruptive behaviors in healthcare.
Renee has a Master’s degree in Nursing Education and a Doctorate of Nursing Practice from the University of Pittsburgh.
Things You’ll Learn:
- Creating clear and effective policies and processes for addressing disruptive behaviors, such as bullying and incivility, is essential for creating a healthier work environment.
- Ongoing skill development is vital for employees and leaders to address behavior issues effectively.
- Actively involving employees as partners in addressing cultural issues is key, as employee champions can play a significant role in promoting a positive culture.
- It’s important to provide support for leaders when they need to address disruptive employees and ensure that they have the tools and knowledge to do so effectively.
- Transforming workplace culture is not a one-time task but a continuous effort.
- Connect with and follow Renee Thompson on LinkedIn.
- Follow Healthy Workforce Institute on LinkedIn.
- Discover the Healthy Workforce Institute Website!
- The Healthy Workforce Academy: Everything you need to cultivate a healthy work culture Website
- Learn more about the latest McKinsey Report here!
- Read the Nine Strategies to Improve Culture and Conduct: A Guide for Healthcare Executives here!
- Get our 33 Scripts for leaders by clicking here.
Disclosure: The host may be compensated for linking to other sites or for sales of products we link to. As an Amazon Associate, Coffee Break earns from qualifying purchases.