This 2-day review course can be used for nurses preparing to take the Medical Surgical certification exam or for those who would like to have a comprehensive review of medical surgical nursing. The course builds upon nursing workforce’s existing knowledge and experience in medical surgical environments helping them learn the strategies necessary to successfully pass the Medical Surgical certification exam.
At the end of the activity, participants will be able to:
- Describe techniques for preparing for a medical surgical certification exam.
- Relate the medsurg pathophysiological basis of various disease states to the nursing assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation necessary.
- Identify outcome criteria and evaluation criteria used by nurses to determine effectiveness of nursing care of various medical surgical patients.
- Outline the legal, ethical and professional responsibilities inherent in being a medical surgical nurse caring.
- Exam info & test taking strategies
- Fluid & electrolyte balance
- Cardiovascular disease
- Pulmonary disorders
- Neurological and musculoskeletal disorders
- Gastrointestinal disease
- Behavioral disorders
- Immunology, hematology and integumentary disorders
- Renal & Genitourinary
- Legal and ethical considerations
13 Contact Hours Earned
Renee Thompson, DNP, RN, CMSRN
Dr. Renee Thompson is an adult clinical practice and professional development expert. After more than 25 years as a clinical nurse, nurse educator and nurse executive, Renee has become one of our country’s leading authorities on nursing professional development, clinical competence and nursing culture. She is well known for her entertaining speaking style and ability to help nurses successfully pass the medsurg and critical care certification exams. To stay connected with nurses, Renee continues to practice as a bedside nurse.